El Rastro: The Most Popular Sunday Flea Market in Madrid
Born in the fifteenth century, El Rastro has been evolving and rising, whereas its existence has been regulated by the native authorities.
Today there isn’t any journey information about Madrid which doesn’t point out El Rastro, and its worldwide fame is akin to different standard markets in a number of European cities like Waterlooplein in Amsterdam, the Portobello market in London or the Porta Portese in Rome. It’s most undoubtedly the preferred Sunday flea market in Madrid.
So, if you happen to spend a number of days in the town, a go to to the El Rastro flea market in Madrid actually is a should.
When & the place is El Rastra held?
El Rastro takes place each Sunday and public vacation of the 12 months, from 9 am to three pm, in the Embajadores neighbourhood.
A most of 3500 stalls cowl the world from the Plaza de Cascorro, in the north, alongside the principle thoroughfare of Ribera de Curtidores and adjoining streets to Calle Embajadores in the east and the Ronda de Toledo and Plaza del Campillo del Mundo Nuevo in the south.
Due to its dimension it may be reached from totally different metro stations: Line 3 (Embajadores, Lavapiés or Sol), Line 5 (La Latina, Puerta de Toledo or Acacias), Line 1 (Tirso de Molina or Sol) and Line 2 (Sol or Opera).
Why is El Rastra the preferred Sunday flea market in Madrid?
A special and heterogenic group of individuals meet right here to take a look and discover that cut price they will’t discover anyplace else, it doesn’t matter in the event that they’re hippie, punk, posh, outdated or younger. In its stalls individuals can discover an amazing number of merchandise, from second-hand clothes, antiques, crafts, books, information, furnishings and even plugs. I believe there’s nothing you’ll be able to’t discover at El Rastro.
In reality you’ll most likely see issues at this flea market in Madrid that you may have by no means imagined.
Navigating the totally different areas in El Rastra
Certain streets or areas inside El Rastro are related, both by custom or by the gathering of specialist stalls, with explicit wares.
– Calle Fray Ceferino Gonzales is named “calle de los Pájaros” (‘street of the birds’) because it was the place pedlars and travelling sellers used to promote home animals and birds. Since the municipal regulation of 2000 animals can solely be bought in shops.
– Calle San Cayetano is often known as “calle de los Pintores” (‘street of the Painters’), as its everlasting stalls promote work, drawings and artwork provides.
– Calle Rodas, Plaza de General Vara del Rey and Plaza de Campillo del Mundo Nuevo specialise in shopping for and promoting magazines, buying and selling playing cards and stamps. Young youngsters often meet right here to swap and commerce playing cards with one another.
– Plaza del General Vara del Rey additionally affords plenty of stalls promoting garments.
– Calle Carnero and calle Carlos Arniches are the place one can find stalls promoting outdated, uncommon and collectible books.
– Plaza de Cascorro specialises in promoting funky clothes and accessories.
– Calle Mira el Sol sells movies and associated objects from Andrei Tarkovsky to Almodobar.
– La Ronda de Toledo often sells music and associated objects.
Food on the El Rastro flea market in Madrid
But in the future in El Rastro shouldn’t be full with out a cease to have some tapas.
In most of the bars and taverns in the neighbouring streets to El Rastro is feasible to style a few of the specialties of Madrid’s gastronomy, accompanied by a glass of wine or a beer.
There are additionally extremely popular bars the place you’ll be able to have low cost bocadillos (sandwiches) such because the squid one (a Madrid’s specialty), but in addition others such chorizo, Spanish omelette, cheese, and so on.
After this exhausting and standard day in the town you higher be staying in one of many flats in Madrid close to El Rastro, since you’ll most likely be loaded down with buying!