Americans Will Spend $6700 On Their Winter Getaway, Here’s How To Reduce Costs
Winter travel is expected to be more expensive than ever, particularly for those visiting ski resorts and exotic places. The thing is that after the pandemic, travelers changed their habits and are preferring different international destinations, and a new report has evidence of this.
According to a recent study performed by the travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.com, Americans’ average trip cost for the upcoming season will be around $6,784. This amount is 57% higher than the average trip cost for this past Fall 2022.
An interesting trend that the analysis highlights is travelers’ interest in spending around two weeks in length at their vacation destination, more days than usual.
The average cost has also increased because travelers are including a new adventurous and expensive destination: Antarctica. This destination ranks among the top 10 experiences for winter travel for the first time ever, according to the company’s data.
These are the top countries for winter travel and their average cost and length according to the survey:
- United States: average trip cost is $5,164, and the average length is 8 days.
- Mexico: average trip cost is $4,233, and the average length is 8 days.
- Bahamas: average trip cost is $3,380, and the average length is 7 days.
- Israel: average trip cost is $6,548, and the average length is 12 days.
- Germany: average trip cost is $5,297, and the average length is 12 days.
- Antarctica: average trip cost is $17,976, and the average length is 17 days.
- Costa Rica: average trip cost is $6,807, and the average length is 10 days.
- Dominican Republic: average trip cost is $4,633, and the average length is 8 days.
- France: average trip cost is $5,492, and the average length is 12 days.
- Italy: average trip cost is $5,675, and the average length is 13 days.
The holiday traditions in Europe, especially in Germany and France, are of interest among Americans, as well as the all-year favorite and warmer destinations like the Mexican Caribbean, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, and the Bahamas.
How To Reduce Costs For Winter Travel
Travelers who want to truly enjoy their vacation experience don’t necessarily have to cut out days or sacrifice certain travel experiences. There are different strategies that can help reduce costs. At Travel Off Path, we have shared a few tips and tricks to save money:
- Prefer Affordable Ski Destinations: If skiing is one of your goals this winter, you can visit one of the most affordable ski destinations in North America that cost under $150 a night, such as the Mission Ridge Ski Area in Washington, Kimberly in British Columbia, or Mount Hood Meadows in Oregon.
- Visit The Cheapest Caribbean Islands: If you want to get away from the snow and cold weather and enjoy the warm beaches with the pristine blue waters that the Caribbean has to offer without spending too much, you can travel to the cheapest islands. In the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Jamaica, travelers will find affordable accommodations and great beaches for the holidays.
- Choose Destinations With Free Attractions: Since you will already have to pay for a flight and a hotel or an Airbnb in Europe, you can opt for destinations that have free attractions or that represent an attraction in itself. Travelers can visit 34 free museums and 553 free sightseeing attractions in Rome, 95 free museums and 487 free sightseeing attractions in London, and 27 free museums and 394 free sightseeing attractions in Paris.
Take Advantage Of Low-Cost flights: At Travel Off Path, we constantly share worth-revising sales and offers from low-cost airlines that offer international flights, sometimes for less than $100, and also strategies to score cheap flights amid skyrocketing prices this winter. Take advantage of features like Google Flights or apps like Skyscanner and Hopper to find the best deals.