Useful Phrases in German
German, with almost 100 million people worldwide, is the most widely spoken native language in the European Union. The German language is the official (or co-official) language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, South Tyrol (Italy) and Liechtenstein.
A basic knowledge of German will give you access to fascinating and welcoming countries in the heart of Europe. You will be able to explore some of the best architecture museums in the world, watch some of the best European films and discover the world’s best city to live – Vienna!
- Do you speak German = Sprichst du Deutsch? (or Sprechen Sie Deutsch? when addressing strangers)
- Good morning/afternoon/evening/night = Guten Morgen/Mittag/Abend/Nacht
- Goodbye (informal)/Goodbye (formal) = Tschüss/Auf Wiedersehen
- Could you help me please? = Können Sie mir bitte helfen?
- No, thank you. = Nein, danke.
- Yes, please. = Ja, bitte.
- Where is the closest restroom? = Wo ist die nächste Toilette?
- Excuse Me = Entschuldigung
- Which beer do you recommend? = Welches Bier würdest du empfehlen?
- Can I have a pretzel with my sausage? = Kann ich eine Brezel zu meiner Wurst haben?
- Where can I find the best techno club in this city? = Wo kann ich den besten techno Club der Stadt finden?
- Is that the right way to go to the station? = Ist das der richtige Weg zum Bahnhof?
- Could you repeat that please? = Kannst du das bitte wiederholen?
- I am sorry = Es tut mir leid
- See you soon! = Bis bald!
Guten Tag = say hello in a formal way.
Top Tip: Germany is known for Oktoberfest and its incredible beers but do you know that they also produce some fantastic wine in the west of Germany along the river Rhine? You should try it on your next trip whilst exploring Germany.